Saturday, June 20, 2009

Velveteen Lops

I fell in love with the plush, velvety Rex coat more than 30 years ago, when I first began to raise rabbits. I'd also found the lop eared rabbits absolutely adorable, but stayed with the Rex because of their coat.

I was absolutely delighted to discover, once I got back into rabbits, that there was now a lop eared rabbit with a Rex coat! Both of my "wants" in one package, which led, of course, to my owning my first Velveteen Lops.



"Kritter" was my favorite of the first Velveteens, people oriented, very laid back and perfectly happy with life, a true ambassador for the breed. A very plush black, he was wonderfully hugable.





I had hoped these would be my show rabbits, although they are still one presentation away from ARBA approval. Having been a livestock breeder all my life, being involved from the ground floor, so to speak, with a new breed, was definitely appealing.


Since I was very focused on the pinto color pattern in my horse breeding program, it was only natural that I have gravitated to the "brokens" in rabbits and Thumper was my first young Velveteen Lop. Truly a character.







I had problems getting does bred and have only had two litters of pedigreed Velveteen Lops to date. Since vision impairment from an accident now prevents me from driving, my plans to show are on an indefinite hole. Consequently, I am not sure I will continue actively breeding Velveteen Lops, although I still have several.

No comments:

Post a Comment