Sunday, June 14, 2009

Tri-color Rex

When I decided to raise rabbits again, I already knew I wanted Rex and my first purchases gave me castors, opals and blues. As a self-confessed color breeding enthusiast, the next step, naturally, was to decide what I wanted to add with all the gorgeous colors to choose from.


The first pictures of the tri colors settled that question. Since an allergy to cats had always kept me from having a calico cat, calico bunnies seemed a reasonable substitute. Since the ARBA convention was being held in Louisville, KY I found a breeder with exactly what I had in mind who planned to attend the and she agreed to deliver her to me at Louisville.



I also found a breeder in Kentucky who was forusing on the tri colors. She had a tricolor buck with a heavier pattern as well as a solid red doe. With the purchase of these two, I now had the breeding trio of the tri colors I had hoped for and was on my way with the tri color Rex.









Since then, a friend of mine decided to go into rabbits as well, buying several Rex from a breeder in Indiana. One of her bucks is a broken black, which can be bred into the tricolors without problems, so I now have several options for my tricolor Rex breeding program although I will most likely keep a promising black junior buck to breed to Star, the tri color doe, in the future.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment