Friday, November 6, 2009

Rabbit Jerky

I've always liked jerky. I used to carry it with me riding. It was a staple to carry with me when I was driving to dog shows for 20 years. For another 10 years I stocked up for my long distance hauls with the horses.

I no longer do dog shows or haul horses, but I have not lost my taste for jerky. Unfortunately, I haven't found a good source for *good* jerky, though I suppose some of the online sites would have it. However, I can't really see spending $12 or more for 8 ounces to try the various companies.

When I found a receipe for "oven jerky" I decided to give it a try ... although I actually did cheat. I'm not all that comfortable with raw meat, so I've come up with something I call "faux jerky", using cooked rabbit and using my BBQ sauce as a marinade.

I did one batch using one rabbit. I figured it was going to work pretty well, when I ended up with just a few pieces by the time it was "finished". The sampling process seemed to require quite a lot of samples as it was drying. Second time around, I used three rabbits. Worked better. Ended up with three one-pint containers ... which lasted four days.

I cook the rabbit, let it cool and then strip the meat off in chunks. My preference is for somewhat smaller pieces, as they dry faster in the oven and I prefer it bite-sized.. I put the cooked rabbit bits in a bowl, pour the BBQ sauce over the meat and stir until all of the individual pieces are well coated. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

The following morning, I spread the rabbit pieces on dehydrator screening laid on lightly greased tinfoil and placed on the oven racks. I've used just tinfoal quite successfully with my first attempts, though I do turn the rabbit pieces over so they dry from both sides. Set oven on the "warm" setting and crack the oven door. Depending on the thickness of the meat, oven temperature and probably humidity as well, you will have jerky in 6 to 10 hours.

BBQ MARINADE RECEIPE

1 24 oz. bottle of ketchup
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 TBSP finely chopped onion
1 tsp liquid smoke
2 TBSP Worchestershire sauce
1/4 tsp salt

Mix ingredients well in pan. Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Take off heat, let cool and use, or pour into storage containers and store in refrigerator.

I make up a double batch, which yields a little more than 2 quarts of BBQ sauce. I've "tweaked" the basic receipe a little for myself, so go ahead and experiment for the exact taste you prefer ... more onion, a little garlic salt, more or less brown sugar, a "dollop" of molasses, more Worchestershire, or substitute terriyaki sauce for the Worchestershire.

This is a good basic BBQ sauce for any kind of oven-baked barbequed meat and is delicious as a marinate for my "faux" rabbit jerky.


No comments:

Post a Comment